has some interesting sites like Fort of St. Jerome or Nani Daman Fort. The most conspicuous part of the fort is the giant gateway facing the river with a large statue of St. Jerome who was one of the most eminent priest of the Catholic Church. The principal building inside the fort is the imposing church of Our Lady of the Sea. This Catholic Church is one of the ancient seats of office and has a fine altar with superb paneling. The ramparts are a good place from which to watch the fish market and small fishing fleet which anchors alongside. To the north is a Jain Temple whose inside walls are covered with glassed-over 18th century murals that depict the life of Mahavira, the founder of Jainism.
Moti Daman: -
is a pleasant place to wander around. The place has a sleepy atmosphere and there are fine views across the river to Nani Daman from the ramparts near the Light House. The massive Fort dates back to 1559 AD. On the Northern side within the confine of the Fort were located the palaces. The Secretariat and other official buildings are located here. There are a couple of churches here. The impressive Se Cathedral dates from the 17th century and is totally Iberian. The Church of Our Lady of the Rosary has ancient Portuguese tombstones. Its altar is a masterpiece of intricately carved gold-painted wood.
Church of Bom Jesus:-
is an early 17th century church dedicated to Bom Jesus and is one of the most impressive holy places in Daman. It was completed in its present form in 1603 AD and is a living tribute to the excellence achieved by the Portuguese architects and artisans in ornate and intricate church buildings. In the early days of the Portuguese rule Bom Jesus was a parish church.
Church of The Lady of Dolorous:-
located in Moti Daman dates back to the 16th century. It has outstanding architectural features, partly Gothic and partly Byzantine. It has a wide hall of prayer and beautifully carved figures.
The beaches of Daman are beautiful and largely unspoiled.
located about 3km from Nani Daman has a long shoreline. There is an Amusement Park here containing landscaped walkways, fountains and children's playground.
located about 3km south of Moti Daman is a pleasant spot. The beach line is broad and even and the solitude and serenity is seldom disturbed. This beach is most suited to swimming. During low tide, one can walk on the soft wet sand right into the sea.
is an expansive and imposing structure, situated on the coast of the island. It was constructed between 1535 and 1541 AD after the defence alliance concluded between the Sultan of Gujarat and the Portuguese. The fort commands a magnificent view of sea. The fort is skirted by the sea on the three sides and a canal on the fourth. On the Fort stands a giant structure now housing a Light House and the Diu Jail. Several canons still stare menacingly from top and some are peeping out of the holes on the walls of this gigantic structure.
Fortress of Panikota:-
is a magnificent stone structure in the sea, built right at the mouth of the creek. It can be reached only by a canoe or a motor launch. Approximately one nautical mile from the Diu jetty, it also has a light house and small chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Sea. The fortress makes for a beautiful view whether seen from the jetty, from the Fort, from the village of Ghoghla or from Diu proper.
St. Paul's Church:-
is dedicated to our Lady of Immaculate Conception. Built during the 17th century, the main facade of the church, perhaps the most elaborate of all Portuguese churches in India, is adorned with curiously treated volutes and shell-like motifs.
is located on a hillock close to the beach. This small shrine crowned with a dome, contains a niche wherein a stone carved face of the demon Jallandhar is seen. Nearby, is the temple of Goddess Chandrika.
is situated 3km away from Diu town in Fudam village. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, there are five lingas here that are located in the midst of the rocks on the seashore, and are washed by the waves of the sea. It is believed that these lingas were established here by the five Pandava brothers of the Mahabharata during their exile.
since there was no building in Diu to house the antique status and various stone inscriptions, the old St. Thomas Church was converted into museum. It houses wooden carvings, statues, idols, shadow clocks and other important artifacts collected from various sites.
a 20min refreshing drive from the town through the open arid land and dense coconut groves brings you to the Nagoa Beach. It is located in the Nagoa hamlet of the village of Bucharwada. The beach stretching about 2km from one end to the other is exceptionally beautiful and quiet and its horse-shoe shape is unique. It is safe for swimming.
is among the six beautiful beaches in Diu District. It also has facilities for water sports like parasailing, water scooters etc.
is centrally located and contiguous to the town at Diu. It is said to be the place where Lord Vishnu left his sudarshan chakra (disc) after killing the demon Jallandhar. The hill and the surrounding areas and landscape has been beautifully illuminated.
is one of the best beaches of the region. Secluded and spread with natural white sand, it is located at the western corner of the island.