Home » Goa » Forts
 
  beaches of indiahills of indialakes of indiaForts of indiacaves of indiaislands of india  
Festivals Dances Music Cuisine Art & Craft
North
South
East
West
North
South
East
West
North
South
East
West
North
South
East
West
North
South
East
West
  pilgrimage of indiawild life of indiahistorical places of indiawaterfalls of indiatrekking in indiatrain routs of india  

States



Forts in Goa

Aguada Fort

was built by the Portuguese in 1609-1612, to control the entry into the river Mandovi and to protect Old Goa from potential enemy attacks. A spring within the fort provided water supply to the ships that called there. The fort presently houses the Central Aguada Jail.

Cabo Fort (Raj Bhavan)

9 km from Panaji, it lies on the peninsula land jutting out in the Arabian Sea, at Dona Paula. Initially during the Portuguese era, a Franciscan Convent, was attached to the fort. This later became Cabo Raj Bhavan and is now the Governor's Palace.

Chapora Fort

Located 10 km out of Mapusa, it has a splendid view of nearby Anjuna and Vagator beaches. The fort once in the hands of Muslim rulers before the Portuguese wrested it, has some interesting ruins.

Terekhol (Tiracol) Fort

42 km.from Panaji, it stands at the nothern most tip of Goa's shoreline, on the hillock overlooking the Arabian Sea, at the mouth of the river Terekhol. In its courtyard is the century old church of St. Anthony. It is now a tourist resort.


Union territories

Metropolitan cities of India

Metropolitan cities of India

 
 

This portal is designed by
Arindam Bhowmik
Best viewed with 1024 by 768 Screen Resolution