Fatehgarh Sahib, the great Tirtha (Centre of pilgrimage) of the Sikhs, is located about 50 kilometers to the north of Patiala on the Patiala- Rupnagar Road via Morinda.
Population and Area
There are 454 Villages in the district, and the major towns are Bassi Pathana, Sirhind, Amloh, Gobindgarh, Khamano and Khera. Total population of the district is around 5,39,657 and the literacy rate is 71.1%. The total area of the district is 1,18,219 hectares, out of which 1,15,511 hectares is rural area and 2,708 hectares is urban area.
Places to Visit
The main Gurudwara commemorates the martyrdom of the two tender Sahibzadas (sons), Zorawar Singh (9 years) and Fateh Singh (7 years) of the tenth Sikh Guru, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, who refused to give up their religion under threat from their captor, the Suba of Sirhind. They were suffocated to death in the dome of Mata Gujri-the grandmother of these martyrs who could not survive the shock of their martyrdom.
Gurudwara Jyoti Swarup
Gurudwara Jyoti Swarup , located nearby, it is the venue of the cremation ceremonies of brave Sikh martyrs. Jor Mela (a great fair) is held here in December every year.
Rauza Sharif of Sheikh Ahmed Farooqi, Mujadid Alif-saani at Sirhind
This is a historic monument which is acclaimed as a second Mecca by Suni Muslims. Thousands of Naqshbandi Muslims from Pakistan, Afghanistan Indonesia and all around India visit this place in or around August. The mausoleum contains tombs and cenotaphs and a mosque. The cenotaph of King Shah Zaman of Afghanistan is located here.
Aam Khas Bagh
Aam Khas Bagh , was a highway inn used by royals as well as common people. It was initially built by the Mogul Emperor Babar and extended by Emperor Shahjehan. It is located close to Rauza Sharif. The royal part of the building has an enormous water storage tank, and a palace with beautiful wall paintings. Other attractions are hot-and-cold air conditioning facilities and fountains driven by a unique hydraulic system.
Located at a distance of 40 km from Chandigarh on Ludhiana road, this village is situated on the top of a mound 24 meters high. Sanghol, spread over an area of 200 Sq. meters, is of great archaeological importance.
A large number of relics from the late Harappan Civilisation (1700 B.C. to 1300 B.C.) to the 6th century A.D. onward are preserved in the museum here.